(Schedule 12-16 hours in advance)
- 100g water
- 100g spelled flour type 630
- 5g yeast, fresh
- 75g Lievito Madre, refreshed or alternatively 10g yeast, fresh
- 100g spelled flour type 630
- 300g wheat flour type 550
- 180-190g water, lukewarm (hold back a little at first, depending on the flour)
- 5g honey
- 10g butter, soft (or vegan margarine)
- 2 teaspoons of salt
- 1 teaspoon Baked Malt *
- additionally: some oil for the dough bowl
Lievito Madre is a mild Italian sourdough that is quite firm. You can find a recipe here.
- Mix the ingredients for the pre-dough (100g water, 100g spelled flour, 5g yeast) about 12-16 hours before the actual dough preparation and let stand covered at room temperature. (Thermomix: 30 sec / dough kneading level)
- If necessary, freshen up the Lievito Madre 24 hours beforehand and let it stand at room temperature.
On the baking day:
- Dissolve the pre-dough with 180g water, 75g Lievito Madre OR 10g yeast and 5g honey in a mixing bowl. (Thermomix: 2 min. / 37 ° C / level 2)
- Then add the remaining ingredients (100g spelled flour, 300g wheat flour, 2tsp salt, 1tl baking malt, 10g butter) and knead everything together for about 5-8 minutes. If a hand mixer or a food processor is used, please use the kneading hook (Thermomix: 5 min./ dough setting)
- Now the dough should be covered in an oiled bowl for a total of about 60 minutes go to a warm place.
- Now place the dough on the lightly floured dough base, divide into 8-10 equal parts, shape into balls and grind round.
- Then you can generously roll the dough pieces in flour and open them up place a (preferably perforated) baking sheet. For another 60 M.minutes at room temperature (or Rest in the refrigerator overnightn let .... see below.)
- Then cut into it with a sharp knife if desired.
- Before baking you should spray the dough pieces with a little water (not ice cold) or, even better, steam (steam) at the beginning of the baking, if you have the opportunity.
- The dough pieces are baked in a preheated oven for about 20-25 minutes at 230 ° C top and bottom heat (alternatively 210 ° C convection).
- Each oven bakes a little differently, so the baking time may vary slightly.
- (My recommendation: bake the rolls over OU heat and switch to hot air for the last 5 minutes if you have the opportunity. Then the rolls will be nice and crispy.)
- After the baking time, leave to cool on a wire rack.
I like the overnight variant best, as the rolls gain additional flavor. At first it sounds like a lot of work to start 36 hours before baking, but actually it's not ... my schedule then looks like this:
- The evening before preparing the dough, I freshen up the Lievito Madre and then leave it to stand at room temperature. (Takes max. 5 minutes) Not applicable if only yeast is used.
- I prepare the pre-dough in the morning (3 minutes of work) and in the evening I prepare the dough with you cold water (takes about 10 minutes).
- After an hour of walking at I shape the dough pieces at room temperature and then put them covered on a baking sheet or similar in the refrigerator (for example, wrapped in a fresh garbage bag.)
- The next morning I take them out of the fridge and let them reach room temperature for about 30 minutes and then bake them in the preheated oven.